How do I categorize a numeric variable in cross tables?
If the response has been captured as a numeric variable, you have several options in Superdig. You may show the average, standard deviation, sum total etc.
In other cases, e.g. if you want to use a numeric variable in a table break (Year of birth ==> age categories), you will need to follow these steps:
- Drag the numeric question to either the rows or columns drop zones.
- Select the numeric question you want to categorize. Right click. The “Options wheel opens”
- Select “Edit question“. The question editor appears
- Right click in the “Response columns” area and select “Create header (Categorize)
- Specify the numeric span or value you want, and give it your own description
- Superdig will automatically suggest that next span is the same .
- Repeat until you have created the categories you desire. The select close. The created categories may very well overlap each other.
- Create a new question text that better describes the created categories.
- You may now use this categorized question in both columns and rows
The Question Editor for a nmeric question:
Create category, set interval and text:
Final result shown in a table: